About Combined Insurance Agencies
Located in south St. Joseph, the Combined Insurance Agencies, Inc. is made up of many old agencies which “combined” over the years, dating back to 1896 with the Preston Insurance Agency. President Robert Beemer and Vice-President Bruce Owen bought the CIA from John Chiviges in 1992. Today the agency has 5 full time agents and a great support staff ready to serve the needs of its customers.
The CIA’s roots go back to the late 1800’s when the Preston family had an insurance agency located in their home at 720 State Street, St. Joseph MI. George Jaeger purchased the agency in the late 1950’s and operated under the name “Jaeger, Allen, Hunt- Insurance Agency”. Throughout his tenure as owner Mr. Jaeger purchased small “one man” agencies and merged those books of business with his own.
In 1980 the Jeager Allen Hunt – Insurance Agency “Combined” with the “Chiviges Insurance Agency” which was owned and operated by John Chiviges since 1957. The Chiviges Agency was originally a life and health agency until 1972 when their focus switched to property & casualty products, with a strong life & health department. The new company was renamed the “Combined Insurance Agencies, Inc.” in 1980. In 1982 Mr. Chiviges purchased Mr. Jeager’s remaining portion of the business.
On January 1st 1992 Robert Beemer and Bruce Owen purchased the business from Mr. Chiviges, and continue as active owners of the insurance agency today offering all types of insurance including auto, home, boat, business, and life & health insurance..